Makalu Expedition [8,481 m (27,825 ft) ]
Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world at 8,481 metres (27,825 ft) and is located 19 km (12 mi) southeast of Mount Everest, on the border between Nepal and China. One of the eight-thousanders, Makalu is an is located peak whose shape is a four-sided pyramid. Makalu has two notable subsidiary peaks. Kangchungtse, or Makalu II (7,678 m) lies about 3 km (2 mi) north-northwest of the main summit. Rising about 5 km (3.1 mi) north-northeast of the main summit across a broad plateau, and connected to Kangchungtse by a narrow, 7,200 m saddle, is Chomo Lonzo (7,804 m).
Mount Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world. This mountain stands alone with a height of 8,463m/27,765ft. This mountain is among the ones that are considered as the treasures of the country. Makalu is among the mountains that are the world’s tallest ones. This is why the peak has been proved to be a favourite one to the explorers for trekking and expeditions. According to Nepal Tourism Board, these two activities are the most preferred ones by the explorers who have come to Nepal and want to enjoy their holidays here.
Mount Makalu lies 19 km to the southern-east of Mount Everest along the border of India and China. This peak is among the mountains that are shaped like a four sided pyramid. Makalu owns two secondary peaks. One of them is Makalu II or also known as Kangchungtse lies approximately 3 km away from the main peak to the northern-east side. This mountain stretches to the height of 7,678m/25,109ft. Another one is Chomo Lonzo that stretches 7,804m/25,603ft to the sky.
Makalu was first conquered by Lionel Terray and Jean Couzy, a French expedition team that was led by Jean Franco on 15th of May, 1955. Since then, Mount Makalu has been a favourite destination for adventure lovers and explorers. They have admired the trips this region. They have taken lifelong memories with them and have left positive reviews that are inspiring to the upcoming explorers.
Mt. Makalu Expedition Itinerary:
Day 01: Upon arrival in Kathmandu you will be warmly greeted by our staffs and then you will be transferred to hotel. Stay overnight
Day 02: Free day and shopping in Kathmandu [1,338m/4,389ft]. Back to hotel in the evening and stay overnight
Day 03: Fly from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar [285m/935ft] and then drive to Chichila [1,850m/6,069ft]. Camp overnight
Day 04: Trek from Chichila to Num [1,505m/4,937ft]. Camp or teahouse overnight
Day 05: Trek from Num to Seduwa [1,530m/5,019ft]. Camp overnight
Day 06 : Trek from Seduwa to Tashi Gaon [2,065m/6,774ft]. Camp of teahouse overnight
Day 07: Trek from Tashi Gaon to Khongma [3,562m/11,686ft]. Camp or teahouse overnight
Day 08: Acclimatisation day at Khongma.
Day 09: Climb over the Shipton La [4,200m/13,779ft] and descend to Mumbuk.
Day 10: Trek from Mumbuk to Yangri Kharka [3,610m/11,843ft]. Camp or teahouse overnight
Day 11: Yangri Kharka to Shershong [4,650m/15,255ft]. Camp or teahouse overnight
Day 12: Trek from Shershong to Makalu South East Base Camp. Stay overnight at camp
Day 13-15: Acclimatisation at Base Camp.
Day 16-49: Ascent phase of Makalu North East Ridge.
Day 50: Pack Up BC Ready for Departure.
Day 51: Descend Down The Valley to Yak Kharka. Camp or teahouse overnight
Day 52: Trek from Yak Kharka to Mumbuk. Camp of teahouse overnight
Day 53: Trek form Mumbuk to Tashi Gaon. Camp or teahouse overnight
Day 54: Trek from Tashi Gaon to Num. Camp of teahouse overnight
Day 55: Trek from Num to Chichila. Camp of teahouse overnight
Day 56: Trek from Chichila to Tumlingtar. Teahouse overnight
Day 57: Fly Tumlingtar to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel and stay overnight
Day 58: Leisure day in Kathmandu. Stay overnight at the Hotel
Day 59: Depart from Kathmandu
[Note: Please ensure that this departure date is flexible. Do not plan any important business for two weeks following the expedition and ensure that your plane ticket is changeable.]
Why trip price is different?
Following are the determinants for the price
- Accomodations in Kathmandu and other cities
- Mode of Transportation (car/van/bus/flights)
- Number of crews(Guides & porters, Sherpas, Cook(s))
- Travelling time(Season)
- Extra services
Note: . The itinerary can be customized according to your duration of holiday. Similarly hotel can be upgraded or downgraded depend on your budget.
You will get best price after your inquiry We know about value of money and world economy, so fell free to share your tentative budget for this trip so we can mention and compromise with price, this is standard price for trip if you have low budget we can run even cheap and if you wise to pay more and need extra deluxe service we will do that.
- All surface transfers as per itinerary
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- Fooding, lodging, insurance and other expenses of the staffs
- Fooding; Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner [as per itinerary] and lodging of the clients
- Necessary National Park fees
- All necessary paper works and permits
- Guided sightseeing tour
- Camping equipments such as very high quality North Face or Mountain Hardware tents for camping
- Kitchen, dining, toilet tents, mattresses and other kitchen equipments
- Travel and rescue arrangements for our staffs
- All ground transportation by private vehicles as per the itinerary program
- All necessary staffs with experienced English speaking guide, cook, assistant leader [4 trekkers: 1 assistance] also a personal Sherpa on request
- Porter’s Charges [Porter can carry up to 20kg]
- Tea and coffee during Mountain Climbing
- Teahouse/Lodge and tented accommodation during trekking and climbing session
- Medical supplies [First Aid medical kit will be available]
- Trekking Information Management System [TIMS], New Trekking permit to keep record of tourist [This is for your safety]
- Seasonal fresh fruits such as orange, apple, banana, mango, grape and other Nepali local fruits
- Meals in Kathmandu
- Domestic / international airfares
- Nepal entry visa fee [Visa fees US$ 25 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 15 days, US$ 40 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 30 days & US$ 100 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 100 days.][ Visa can be easily issued upon the arrival of Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu which will require 2 passport size photos]
- Airport tax required for the Domestic / International flights
- Expenses such as laundry, phone calls, internet and others
- Personal trekking equipments
- Entrance fees for sightseeing
- Any extra transportation except in itinerary [we can arrange upon request]
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Helicopter rescue due to out of control
- Any other expenses which are not mentioned in the inclusive price
- Some extra assistance like if you cannot walk properly our guide will arrange you horse to came back [if applicable this you have to pay them directly]
- Tips to staffs. After working everyone expect some Tips. We don’t mention fixed amount, it’s is up to you and up to their service, but generally tourists provide 10% of the total cost
- International airfares to and from Kathmandu as per your destination
- Single supplement charges [if required]
- Departure tax from Kathmandu
- Your travel insurances
- Cold drinks and beverages